Saturday, June 24, 2006

Part Deux: The story continues...

When we moved back to St Louis, it was into a 3-bedroom ranch in the 'burbs. It had a pool (above ground with a deck) and a big back yard. Otherwise, it was your typical home. As time moved on and I got older, I developed allergies, which gave my parents a reason NOT to let me have more pets. I'm sure they were elated.

I guess after much nagging on my part, I talked them into a hamster (or 2 or 3). I loved how they packed their little cheeks with seeds, making them twice their size, then carried them into their "bedroom" where they pushed them out. They are soft and fuzzy and have cute little stubby tails. Although small, I loved to rub them against my face, which gave me a bad case of ringworm once, much to my mother's dismay. I thought nothing of it. She totally lost it!

After sending 3 Petie's over the "Rainbow Bridge" to hamsterland, I progressed to birds. Parakeets to begin with. There were 3 of these too. Two Pete's and one Crackers. (Are you seeing a pattern?) Crackers died tragically in my hands after falling off his perch. They say that happens when they lose their balance. All I remember is calling my mother at work crying into the phone, and her trying to console me.


I went through college pet-free then moved to North Carolina. Living all alone, I bought Indiana Jones. He was a beautiful sky blue & white parakeet. He was a mean little cuss, but I loved to listen to him chirp away. He traveled back to St Louis with me, moving from my parents house, 3 different apartments and finally into my first house. What a trouper!

Not long after settling in, I got him a companion -- Jimmy Buffett. Well, Jimmy turned out to be a girl Jimmie, who just wanted her way with Indy, and he wanted no part of her. So off she went to live with a man who fell in love with her. Next, I adopted Whitey Herzog, named in memory of my grandmother (an avid Cardinal baseball fan). Whitey was older and simply wanted company, so he and Indy got along splendidly -- my two little old men. What characters! They'd sit, chatter, nap and chirp all day long. After a long 10 years, Indy developed cancer and had to be put asleep. It was difficult decision for me. Both Whitey and I missed him. A year later, Whitey joined him. He'd been missing his pal, which was obvious in his lack of enthusiasm for the other bird we took in. They are both buried side-by-side in the garden of my first house.

Next came 2 love birds: Paco & Tequila Sunrise. Paco was a present for my mother, living in Florida at the time. I thought she could use some companionship. While keeping him for her until she came to visit, he got a little attached, but he did fall in love with my parents. He had the run of their house, hopping up and down the stairs of their townhouse, following them around. He loved riding around on dad's shoulder, giving dad an occasional nip on the ear, which made dad roar with laughter.

After Paco moved in with my parents, I got Tequila. He would get out of his cage, run across the room, climb up the spokes of my chair, climb up my body, then hop on my fingers, while I typed on the computer. If that didn't get him enough attention, he'd climb up onto my shoulder, nibble on my ear and proceed to hang from my glasses! He was such a character! Everything was perfect in Tequila's world until Bek came along -- a cute black and white tuxedo cat that had been found motherless in a basement.

(Stay tuned for Part 3!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home