Thursday, August 03, 2006

Over the rainbow bridge

I saw this image posted on another blog Pickled Beef and felt compelled to post it on my own, along with this short story.

On Tuesday, while driving to an appointment, I happened upon a tragedy -- no thanks to heartless drivers. There was a minature Border Collie lying lifeless in one lane of the road. He was obviously someone's companion, since his beautiful coat was well groomed. I wanted to check on him, but couldn't get out of my car in the middle of a busy road, so I did the next best thing. I called Animal Control, who gave me the number of the local police. (Apparently, the police can be called when there's an injured animal. God bless the police.) Since I had no idea how injured the pup was, I called, said a silent prayer and drove on with tears in my eyes, incensed by the driver's cold heart at leaving the injured pup lying there.

As a pet parent, the thought of my own sweet babies being injured makes me shiver and come to tears. For the driver, I pity your insensitivity. To the pup, I pray you are in heaven with God and all the other animals -- healthy, happy and loved. You will be missed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tink said...

That's so sad! I have a 2yr old Rat Terrier that likes to get out and play games of "chase." His idea, obviously not ours. My greatest fear is that he's going to get hit one of these days. And I honestly don't know what I would do without him or his sister. You did a good thing Turtle.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Gwynne said...

Alright, Turtle. Your turn! ;-)

11:54 AM  
Blogger Newt said...

I've typed three different comments but none of them seem to express how thankful I am there are people like you in this world that care that much.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

WOW! Thanks ladies. I didn't think anyone read my blog. Guess I'll have to write more. I can't help it. I'm a sappy sort who wanted to be a vet when she grew up. I do what I can to speak up for those who can't -- pets and children alike.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home